Friday, November 9, 2007

Welcome to Rotten Potatoes!

It goes without saying that this new blogging venture for me, Rotten Potatoes, is inspired by one of my favorite movie sites, Rotten Tomatoes. However, instead of being an aggregate collector of and portal to many different reviews, editorials, and voices, Rotten Potatoes will simply be the television blogging haven of one individual, me.

To get to know me better in a television sense, here's what I currently record on my DVR. Somehow, with a full time work schedule, I manage to watch almost all of them:
  • Colbert Report
  • CBS Evening News
  • ABC World News
  • Gossip Girl
  • Prison Break
  • American Idol
  • Hell's Kitchen
  • Heroes
  • So You Think You Can Dance
  • Grey's Anatomy
  • Ghost Whisperer
  • Desperate Housewives
  • The Amazing Race
  • The Hills
  • The Real World
  • Friday Night Lights
  • Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
  • Ugly Betty
  • The Office
  • Sportscenter
My favorite syndicated comedies are The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and The Cosby Show. Aside from American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance, the show that never sits for more than a day on my DVR is Ugly Betty, as I feel like it is the perfect mix of comedy, drama, and strong characters with recognizable (albeit over the top) identities.

Who is behind Rotten Potatoes? An undersized Asian with a little too much to type sometimes. My credentials are limited, but I hope that it's a start to something much bigger. I was an Editorial/Opinions columnist for the University of Southern California's Daily Trojan, where I held the coveted Monday spot for consecutive semesters. Previously a staff writer for now-ESPN affiliate WeAreSC.com, I used my experience as a student manager for the USC Football team to profile and interview different players on a more personal level to show a different side to our players and program.

My personal blog, DaveChung.com was linked by CNN.com after I wrote an editorial on, of all things, Vanessa Anne Hudgens. More recently, I was named the winner of the Billboard Magazine/LG Mobile Beat nationwide concert blogging competition, where I was chosen as one of hundreds of applicants to cover concerts all summer long up against 25 other bloggers spread around the country. In February 2008, I will be blogging from the red carpet at the 2008 Grammy Awards for Billboard.com. I am currently a contributing writer for the top television website for the #1 television show in the United States, AmericanIdol.com. Hopefully, I'll be seeing my name published in a few other places in the very near future, but this is my newest blogging venture.

But why start a new blog? My personal blog, DaveChung.com, was just getting overridden with my constant television talk, so I thought this would give me an opportunity to start over and have a blog with some focus. Additionally, I honestly missed putting together editorials and thought this would give me a good opportunity to blog about a subject that I'm both knowledgeable and passionate about, television.

The idea to start Rotten Potatoes ultimately stemmed from the fact that I enjoy and watch a ton more television than I do movies (which would be Rotten Tomatoes' specialty)and honestly enjoy television a whole lot more as a result. I love the episodic nature of television and how even with DVR becoming more and more mainstream, there is still something to be said for watching something unfold on live television, or at least seeing something the day it airs so that you can talk about it the next day. I love that there are shows that we follow religiously and guilty pleasures that we know are horrible, but we can't stop watching.

So what can you expect to see here on Rotten Potatoes?

  • Full episode streaming with editorials on specific episodes

  • American Idol talk... a lot of it. Like it or not, it's the top show on television and I think it deserves to be
  • Shows that I think are worth watching or worthwhile guilty pleasures
  • Shows that I think are taking a turn for the worse
  • My experiences at various tapings
  • Reality show talk
  • Some entertainment news here and there if it's television relevant
  • Shows that were exceptionally good or standouts from the week
So welcome, thank you for coming to Rotten Potatoes and I'm excited about this new blogging venture. Hope you'll come back and enjoy the ride!

No comments: